Thursday, June 9, 2016

Thursday: this blog is literally....the best! #turtlethursday


Coming to Guatemala is a great blessing for me.  I must admit that I was extremely weary of coming, to give you a few of the reasons why, they were me not really wanting to go to a third-world country and the fact that I finally graduated and I literally want to sleep for a week straight (no I don’t mean figuratively).  Coming down was not too much of a surprise.  I have been to Honduras before so I knew what Guatemala would be like: cobblestone houses, tin roofs, and old rusted cars.  The biggest relief to me by far that I did not expect were the people.  Adult and children alike are extremely kind to everyone.  Adults are happy we are here to help them and the children are happy that we are here to play with them (and give them treats).
Today was a great day for construction and our VBS that we are doing for the kids.  We were able to place two of our four main beams up as well as placing cement into walls full of rebar that were built earlier.  The skies were clear the whole day so we could work fast and not have to stop or worry about slipping from rain.  VBS was so much fun (I’m hoping for the kids as well)! 
Yesterday we had VBS while it rained, so we did the recreation activity that we had previously wanted to do outside today: as you might have guessed, it was futbol.  We started by splitting the group, then had them practice shooting and passing, then we had matches. It was so much fun to play with them as well as just to watch.  With the older kids, they pulled out impressive moves, shot fast, ran fast and were just stupid good.  Whereas the little kids…it was just chaos.  There was no order, we basically threw 4 soccer balls to them and set them loose.  I had a couple of kids that were uninterested in this and decided that they rather would ride on our backs/shoulders.  It was fun and exhausting, but completely worth the backache I will have tomorrow.
There were multiple wonderful moments today.  My personal favorite of course was playing with the little kids during VBS, but Jerry was able to meet the two children that he sponsored which was an emotional moment for all of them.  I feel that it invigorated him more in what he does and what good it does for them.
I feel so blessed to be able to come on this trip and am sad to see it end! I am thankful for the team that has come and love how we have all grown together. I will definitely miss the children in Membrillal the most and hope to come back!
 Kristopher 

I’ve never seen any of the Seven Wonders of the World. Guatemala makes my list. This is my first time being out of country. It has been amazing so far. I’ve never been challenged with a language barrier with kids. I’ve managed. I was worried about the food. Yet, I’ve still been blown out of the water with the magnificent. I was worried about getting sick. Scott got me covered. I’ve almost fell off of scaffolding a few times. Good thing I’m a ninja. It’s good I’m still alive. I am also very grateful for my chance to be in Guatemala and that God has made my decision coming here clear and the impact that it has been on me so far. (Hebrews 6:17)
Today was a really good day for construction. We got the last two trusses up, which were a pain. We struggled with near falling scaffolding, which was heroically saved by the mystical Tono. We also had troubles with wires with the wielder. Other than that it went amazing. We got half of the cross beams done which will make tomorrow easier. As we near the end of the week, we have gotten to know our new found Guatemala friends better which will make next year even more fun.
VBS Today was my favorite part of the day. (Hard Labor is the best! JK) For my experience at our rec station went really well. We first had the 12-15 year olds, and we split up the genders into two groups. I helped out on the both sides, the boys drove me mad as with every kick they tried to kill each other. (Shooting drill) I sat out the first game they played and waited for the next age group before I played. Next we had the 9-11 year olds, and they were pretty wild. I enjoyed playing with them and they were a blast. My favorite was the 4-8 year olds, and they are so adorable. There were 3 main kids that hung out with me. They were really cute and just wanted to play and that’s what I gave them. There was also a really nice girl named Melony and she could speak a little English. She was really patient and kind, as she would slowly repeat a sentence till you understood. Kaitlyn was the magician as she some how learned Spanish with the young ones in a day. She took the kids and had them speak to her or Courtney, which was a big help all around. I am sad to be leaving Guatemala soon, but I’m more excited about the amazing mark were leaving on the people and on the children of Guatemala.

From near the equator,
Drayk

Today our team experienced the generosity of God's people in an extremely tangible way.  Through the gifts of our Risen Life Church family we purchased enough food to fill 80 kitchen bags.  These gift bags will be given to the families of the children who have attended our VBS tomorrow.  Our team experienced the pure joy of shopping for, and assembling the bags.  I can't wait to share photos and the experience with all of you back home.

God is good.  Your team has represented the Kingdom, their church, and themselves in the best way.  I am so proud of them and the effort they have put forth to stay unified and positive.  We have spent much time in prayer for the workdays, the people, and each other.  Please join us in prayer that we will have the strength to finish the projects set before us and that we will be the examples and the light of Christ to the children and their families tomorrow. 

Sean



















































































4 comments:

  1. Y'all are awesome!! Love the photos! Praying for a night of great rest after a full day and strength and health for what God has in store for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these pictures. Loved seeing everyone smiling!! Praying for strength, wisdom, words and some rest tonight! Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thank God for todays technology, when used for His glory, it is a fantastic gift. Remembering days gone by, we would have to wait for a phone call to find out how the missions were progressing. We waited until the pictures were developed, after everyones arrival home, to share in the beauty of the people's smiling faces, the awesomeness of the location, and the power behind all the work efforts. Thank you for sharing every evening, and thank God that you can!!! I Tesalonicenses 5:16-18 Estad siempre gozosos. Orad sin cesar. Dad gracias en todo; porque esta es la voluntad de Dios para con vosotros en Cristo Jesús.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome. You all are working so hard - thank you! We look forward every day to seeing the update and it is a sweet reminder for us here to be in prayer throughout the day for you guys and what God is doing there. Looking through these photos today really made me miss everyone! Thanks for sharing all your thoughts and photos. We look forward to hearing more when you're back. We are so proud of what you are doing and praying for a great finish to your time. - Kelsey and Andy

    ReplyDelete